A press release is a written statement that is typically sent to media outlets to generate publicity for a product, event, or business. The main purpose of a press release is to persuade reporters or editors to write a story about the subject of the release. However, press releases can also generate interest among the public.
A press release should be newsworthy, well-written, and relatively short-usually only two pages. The first paragraph should include a summary of the most important information in the release, and the following paragraphs should provide additional details.
A press release should always include contact information so that reporters can follow up with any questions.
Examine what does a press release mean in business and why submitting press releases is still relevant.
What Does Press Release Mean In Business?
When used effectively, press releases can be a powerful tool for generating publicity. News releases are not the best way to get major media coverage, but they can increase the frequency with which your company’s name appears in the press.
Press releases will get you coverage in set features like business notes, and new personnel columns. They also provide a good way to let allies, employees, and customers know what you are doing. For these purposes, post releases on the company website, send out by e-mail or distribute by one service like PR Newswire or PR Web.
Press Releases Distribution
Here is a quick list of 33 reasons for you to write and distribute a news release.
- New Products
- Business Start-Up
- Strategic Alliances
- New Or Innovative Business Strategy
- Restructuring The Company
- Going Public/Going Private
- Company Come back From Adversity
- New Employees
- Important Executive Retiring/Resigning
- Executives Comment On Business/Economic Trends
- Employee Promotions
- New Branch Offices
- New Divisions Established
- Headquarters Relocating
- Research Results Announcement
- Major Anniversary
- Major New Client Acquisition
- Company Revenue, Sales or Profit Growth
- Company Name Change
- Winning Major Awards Or Receiving National Recognition
- Company Presenting An Award
- Receiving Important Accreditation or Certification
- Holding Free Seminar or Workshop
- Employee Appointed To Civic/Government/Professional Board
- Availability Of Guest Articles Or White Papers
- Issuing A Position Statement On Topical Subject
- Free Consumer Information Available
- Company Speakers Bureau
- Company Philanthropic Support
- Major Company Milestone
- New Board of Directors
- New Website